Saturday, December 13, 2008

What is commonplacing?

Commonplacing is the practice of entering literary excerpts and personal comments into a private journal, that is, into a commonplace book or, to use a 17th century synonym, a silva rerum ("a forest of things").

Typically the excerpts were regarded as exceptionally insightful or beautiful or as applicable to a variety of situations, and so as such they are often especially quotable. . .


-Norman Elliott Anderson,
Commonplacing in the Spiritual Traditions


All my life I've had a collection of journals, notebooks, binders of paper, boxes of paper, where I've copied over the bits and pieces of books, magazines, conversations and movies that seemed somehow essential to grab hold of, to record, for later use.

For the last year I've been trying to dig my way out from under this smothering paper pile of my past. Meanwhile, new quotes and passages pop up. It never ends.

So now, a new version of the commonplace: this blog.

A showcase of the clever turn of phrase; a platform for the profound. An island of inspiration. But also: the dumping ground of my sentimentality, the library of my mind. Tread carefully and enjoy.

But please notice, this is a commonplace in a common space. Please, please, please! If you have any favorite quotes please pass them along and I'll include them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you love this quote?
Do you have new quotes to share?
Do tell!